Friday, November 21, 2008

Jo the plumber?

Being sick, being off work, being- simply being- resting gently in the palm of God's hand is something I suck at. That lesson is what I am learning on this sabbatical/sick leave journey. But today, I had a breakthrough!

The kids had been saying that the bathtub in their bathroom had been draining slowly. Well, truthfully, I had forgotten. They had mentioned it several times, but after the final foo_ball game the girlchild said that the water was standing in the tub.

I planned to call the plumber. I wasn't going to call "Joe the plumber", although I probably couldn't depend on calling a democrat- what with this being Texas and all. I decided to give the porcelain a look. Fortunately, the water had drained overnight. The tub was coated evenly with grit and sports boy residue. I pulled the metal stopper thingy out of the drain and discovered a little bit of hair. As I began to pull out the soapy wad, there was a little more hair and the cover to a razor, then a little more hair and a long strip of plastic off a shampoo bottle. Once everything was out of the drain, it looked like a hair hamster drowning in Head & Shoulders had crawled up out of the drain and died in the tub. I buried him in the wastebasket and replaced the metal stopper thingy. Now, I just have to practice hitching up my britches. I'm a plumber! I only have to hope this doesn't foul up my sick leave.

No comments: