Thursday, November 20, 2008

Everyone makes mistakes

Sure, everyone makes mistakes. I have been known to say- okay perhaps over and over- we are not defined by the mistakes we make, but by the efforts we make to fix them. I thought that little maxim was kind of snappy- maybe even pithy. That was before.

You may have noticed the change. I had not. Those of you who know me ( pretend audience) know that I have a bit of a sweet tooth. I am a big fan of cookies and pie. I believe that cake is merely a method of keeping frosting from sticking to the plate. When I am dining in public, I limit myself to two- okay three- packets of Equal in a glass of tea. The difference of which I speak is something the manufacturers of Equal are inordinately proud.

In an age when peanut butter is infused with extra vitamins, Coke has vitamins, probably Crisco, lard and Twinkies are sporting extra B-12 so you feel extra good about eating them. The makers of my Equal have added fiber to that little yellow packet. Now for regular human beings that is probably a great thing, but for me, an unsuspecting person who inadvertently consumed approximately 20-25 packets of fiber yesterday. Imagine my shock and dismay- I am a person who happily subsists on Goldfish crackers and Rice Krispie Treats.

Please Equal people stop the insanity! If I wanted to ingest 25 grams of fiber I'd be a hamster. Even those crazy vegans don't eat that much fiber in a day. For God's sake, I haven't experienced this much parastolic movement since the millenium changed. Can't you be satisfied with keeping the best part of sugar and getting rid of the calorie part? Must you include parts of the actual cane? The horror...

No comments: