Thursday, January 8, 2009

Back to Work With a Vengeance...

Oh Yeah, the weather was awful. Rain and ice with howling winds, but truth be told I would have gone to work if it had been raining frogs. I'm pleased to say that we narrowly avoided a plague this past Monday. I arrived at 7:20, a full hour early, just to be anywhere but home.

That's the thing. Everybody wants to spend a couple of months at home. It sounds great. TV, books, peace and quiet, but then there's a catch- maybe there's always a catch like someone in front in line at the WalMart of you using coupons- you can't leave the house. Then multiply peace and quiet by like a zillion, then like The Real Housewives Marathons by infinity and suddenly work sounds great. Shoot, even a trip to WalMart sounds great, and P.S. I don't shop at the Devil's Playground, but I could hear it calling to me while I was at home, like the sirens calling to sailors to their watery, rocky doom.

But like I said, school started, and I am back, and I noticed right away what we all know. You can't want to win The Quiet Game too much and get picked- right. If you really want or are so insecure that you need to know that the the "Chooser"is your friend, then you most certainly will not be chosen. Something about wanting it too much makes it all the more fleeting. Love is like that and prayer, but I don't think the kids killing time waiting to go to the bathroom had either of those things in mind. Some of them were shocked to be chosen; some of them were craven with wanting to be chosen, and some of them were just waiting. You really can tell what a child's needs are by merely going back to work. Maybe you can just come out of a medically imposed "Quiet Game" and recognize all of its challenges.

No comments: